Now that the Data Protection Act 2018 is in force we have updated our subscription model. You can sign up to follow this blog by entering your email on the left. You can also withdraw your permission to receive our emails at any time by using the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of every email you receive from us.


Saturday, 27 January 2018

Overseas Assignment – Exporting And Importing Private Motor Vehicles

On Assignment to JFC Brunssum; www.gov.uk/Taking a vehicle out of the UK, highlights the requirement of taking a UK-registered vehicle out of the country for 12 months or more (also known as permanent export). The following action needs to be taken:

Tell DVLA before you leave by filling in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C registration certificate (logbook).

Send it to DVLA and include a letter if you’ve moved abroad and want your vehicle tax refund sent to your new address.

Keep the rest of your V5C registration certificate – you will need this to register your vehicle abroad.

You must update the address on your driving licence.

On Repatriation to the UK on Completion of an Overseas Tour of Duty; www.gov.uk/Importing vehicles into the UK from the EU, highlights the requirement of importing vehicles into the UK. The following action needs to be taken:

Tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) within 14 days that the vehicle has arrived in the UK. Please note you can’t register the vehicle until you’ve done this and you can be fined £5 for every day you’re late telling HMRC!!!

Tell HMRC by using the Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) service. You’ll need a Government Gateway Account (https;//www.gov.uk/government-gateway).

Pay VAT and Duty if HMRC tells you to. 

Get vehicle approval to show your vehicle meets safety and environmental standards.

Register and tax the vehicle with DVLA – they’ll give you a registration number so you can get the number plates. 

You must insure your vehicle before you drive it on UK roads. 

For Tax Free PMVs the new registration (V5 copy) must be forwarded immediately to Vehicle Registration Office, JFC HQ Brunssum, Postbus 270, 6440 AG Brunssum – email: jfcbsvrob@jfcbs.nato.int or fax: 0031455262941. 
This is too ensure that the PMV is cleared through Tax & Customs Office (Netherlands).

Sponsor Head of Location Ext 2506